DOC Case Study
Reaching Financial Excellence at the Department of Commerce
Department of Commerce (DOC), Office of the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Secretary for Administration (CFO/ASA) – Business Application Solutions (BAS) Project
The DOC was monitoring its financial management effectiveness and wanted to align its strategic modernization efforts for its financial and administrative systems across multiple bureaus. The Department needed help determining its total cost of operations (TCO) and developing alternatives for modernizing DOC’s IT operations. To assess this, TeraThink developed detailed cost-benefit analyses in alignment with the Office of Management and Budget’s (OMB) guidance on leveraging shared service providers (SSPs) wherever possible. DOC turned to TeraThink’s financial and program management experts to help realize the Department’s strategic vision of a consolidated administrative systems environment that leverages cloud-based solutions in conformance with Government-wide mandates.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
- Business Case and Budget Support
- Detailed Implementation Planning
- Organizational Change Management
- Acquisition Planning
- Program Management
TeraThink is developing business process and system solutions to address the inefficiencies of operating multiple production instances of antiquated systems spread across the Department. As DOC’s systems and financial management strategic advisor, TeraThink coordinates and analyzes DOC’s core financial, acquisitions, property, grants, and data warehouse systems to develop a roadmap to meet long-term DOC modernization objectives and goals. TeraThink is helping the Department evolve towards a unified enterprise-wide systems solution set with a standard data model to promote reporting transparency across the Department.
TeraThink continues to deliver comprehensive services and leadership support to several bureaus and business units. To date, we have helped DOC:
Blueprint the modernization all components of DOC’s BAS program in compliance with federal guidelines, including core financial, acquisitions, property, grants, and data warehouse systems
- Create an implementation strategy for merging numerous production environments to a single platform through the use of existing SSP offerings
- Develop a consolidated Departmental Concept of Operations which defines the phased implementation approach for modernizing the functions in scope
- Provide organizational change management (OCM) services including stakeholder analyses, communications planning and outreach, and training strategy development
- Develop a standardized data model to promote uniform and consistent reporting across the Department.
(Tools: Oracle eBusiness Suite, CACI ComprizonSuite, Savantage Reltek, Sunflower Assets, Compusearch PRISM, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project))