OCC Case Study
Achieving State of the Art Program Management
within the U.S. Treasury
Department of Treasury/Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) – Program Management Office (PMO) Support Services
The OCC has initiated a number of increasingly complex initiatives to meet its mission to charter, regulate, and supervise all of the United States national banks and Federal branches of international banks. The OCC looked to TeraThink for establish a PMO and to help expand and mature their management services provided, with the goal to offer state-of-the-art program management support for information technology (IT) projects. They counted on TeraThink’s program management experience, innovation in seeking tailored government solutions, and measured, informed risk-taking to meet their program management needs.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
- Program Management Consulting & Support
- Business and System Requirements Analysis
- Process/Method Standardization and Maturation
- Portfolio Management
- Knowledge Management
- Business Case Development and Alternatives Analysis
- Business Process Analysis, Modeling, and Re-engineering
- Information Management Strategy Development
- Operational Support
TeraThink knew that the OCC wanted to eliminate redundancy, effectively use existing resources, and find an appropriate partner to help them provide enhanced services. In order to meet these needs, TeraThink recommended and quickly established a Program Management Center of Excellence (PMCoE), consisting of a repository of best management practices with access to industry experts. The PMCoE housed standards, methods, tools, and leading management practices which were based on Project Management Institute (PMI) disciplines. Leveraging this model, TeraThink was able to support additional OCC initiatives that allowed them to automate processes, consolidated disparate systems, eliminate manual processing errors and delays, and improve inefficiencies.
TeraThink drew on its program consulting services to bring leading practices and all the technical skills required to help OCC:
- Expand their capabilities through an enterprise-wide business architecture and blueprint that uses standardized processes across the entire organization.
- Implement multiple IT initiatives that contributed to the OCC business strategy and enhanced operational productivity.
- Simplify processes and provided consistency across the PMO by using organization-wide documents and templates.
- Improve safeguards, data integrity and data quality, audit trail capabilities, and compliance with federal guidelines, including OMB Circular A-123, Management Accountability and Control and the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 (FISMA), among others.
- Achieve better alignment of IT expenditures and business strategies.
(Tools: Microsoft SharePoint for collaboration, the Rational set of tools for requirements management, OpenText document management system, and Business Process Modeling Notation)